Richard is a Chartered Business Psychologist with a thorough knowledge of leadership, team performance, and psychology. He’s the author of ARC Leadership, arguing that leaders need to be Authentic, Responsible and Courageous if they and their organisations are to move from surviving to thriving in a complex world. He aims to model those qualities himself, so he’s known as genuine, challenging and inquisitive, as well as being a deeply curious lateral thinker.
More recently, he wrote The Boss Factor, which looks at leadership from the opposite direction and has at its heart 10 lessons in managing up for mutual gain. His third book, which he is co-authoring with Karen Ellis, helps leaders develop their own and others’ capacity to process and respond to the complexity. It’s a book that breaks new ground in the world of ‘vertical development’ – a paradigm shift in learning and development that substitutes the traditional approach of ‘adding more apps’ to people for an approach that ‘upgrades their operating systems’.
Richard believes in delivering exceptional outcomes – something made possible by a ‘one size fits one’ rather than a ‘one size fits all’ approach. He is committed to finding new ways to create lasting behavioural change, and helping organisations in the private, public and third sector achieve their objectives. His clients have included BHP, BT, Deutsche Bank, Ernst & Young, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander, Shell, Siemens, Virgin, and the Australian bank Westpac. Public and third sector clients have included HM Prisons and Constabularies, the NHS, various nations’ armed forces, charities, a parliamentary directorate and the South Australian Government.
You can reach Richard at email@example.com or on +44 7949 324001.
- Coaching leadership teams
- Coaching individual executives, up to CEO level
- Designing and running leadership and management development interventions for groups of leaders
- Profiling leaders and leadership teams for recruitment, promotion, development and management audits
- Writing and speaking about leadership, team performance, leadership development and coaching
- Delivering insight through psychometrics – Richard used to train the trainers in the use of tools such as MBTI and Hogan’s ‘Dark Side’
- Running seminars on change, “followership” and Authentic, Responsible, Courageous leadership
- Providing insight on the implications for organisations on developments in automation, robotics and artificial intelligence
Career highlights [+]
- Designing and delivering one-to-one and group coaching for CEOs and senior staff across Gucci Group’s eight brands worldwide, including Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney and YSL
- Designing and running Southampton Football Club’s Senior Management Team Development Programme, a one-year intervention combining coaching, team development and team-to-team facilitation and training, with continuing support after the programme to keep the learning flowing
- Designing and running a leadership development programme for Deloitte senior managers on the cusp of directorship. This unique programme ran for seven years, helped over a thousand participants and was a finalist in the 2011 Training Journal Awards
- Designing a global ‘leading change’ programme for a well-known FMCG company
- Helping with a joint venture between two telecoms giants, which included working with the CEO, his team and the rest of the top 70 to help build leadership capability and integrate the people and cultures of two merging organisations
- Speaking on leadership at a conference for middle-eastern CIOs, in Abu Dhabi
- Writing ‘ARC Leadership’, ‘The Boss Factor’ and two chapters for Routledge’s handbook on team coaching
- Co-authoring (with Nick Holley) Henley Business School’s 2013 report on the future of leadership development
- Coaching teams and boards at Cancer Research, Deloitte, GSK, Heineken, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Nickelodeon and a variety of SMEs
- Delivering one-on-one leadership coaching on behalf of London and Oxford-Saïd Business Schools – the latter via his relationship with Edgecumbe Consulting Group
- Helping leaders and managers across the public and private sectors to develop coaching skills of their own, through coaching-skills training and action learning sets
Qualifications and affiliations [+]
- Chartered Occupational Psychologist and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- Postgraduate Certificate in Executive Coaching
- Certificate in Supervision in Teams and Organisations
- Postgraduate ‘Master Practitioner’ in Systemic Team Coaching
- Postgraduate Certificate in Occupational Psychology
- Certified Practitioner Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Certificate in the Fundamentals of Systemic Coaching and Constellations
- MSc in Investigative (Forensic) Psychology
- BA (Hons) in Psychology and Philosophy
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council
- Founder member of the British Psychological Society’s Special Group in Coaching Psychology
To learn more about us, view more profiles or take a look at our testimonials. Alternatively, to discuss how we can help you and your organisation, please call Richard Boston on +44 7949 324001. Or feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.