Developing what, exactly?
We always start by working with you to understand the ‘step up’ required of your organisation’s leaders. Then we create or co-create the developmental experiences that will help them make and maintain that transition.
While we never assume this will be the case – and you’ll have your own way of describing it – the step-up has usually required leaders to develop their ability to deliver in one or more of three areas:
- Establishing direction, often in the face of complexity, uncertainty and ambiguity
- Securing commitment from the people they lead and/or key stakeholders
- Building the capacity required to succeed – whether that capacity is their own or others and whether it comes in the form of skills, knowledge, resources, time or the necessary enabling processes and structures
These ‘Three Core Disciplines’ appear in some form in most competency frameworks and books on leadership. Our own work with thousands of leaders in a wide range of organisations across six continents tells us these are key to success for any leader, team or organisation. Hence, clients typically ask us to help their leaders…
Establish a compelling direction
- Develop an inspiring vision at a personal, team and/or organisational level
- Lead through change and in complex operating environments
- Make quality decisions with limited, ambiguous and contradictory data
- Craft a way forward that addresses the conflicting needs of different stakeholder groups
- Align strategy, culture and leadership throughout the organisation
Secure people’s commitment
- Develop greater self-awareness, empathy and relationship skills
- Enhance personal impact, influence and ability to inspire
- Gain a better understanding and appreciation of team dynamics
- Create a culture of trust and genuine accountability
- Build confidence, self-control and resilience
Build capacity in teams and organisations
- Recognise and address factors inhibiting their own performance
- Ensure teams have the skills and resources they need to deliver
- Create a more effective feedback culture
- Improve coaching and mentoring skills
- Develop the core capacities required to cope with complexity and ambiguity
Our approach [+]
Our Leadership Development Interventions are rooted in the latest thinking on the future of leadership development1. Hence our approach often brings together:
- Deep personal insight
- Feedback: collation, interpretation and/or provision of feedback, using mechanisms such as 360° questionnaires, psychometric profiling, face-to-face feedback from peers, and behavioural assessment through interviews and/or complex business simulations
- Real work: participants work together on a real, current and challenging organisational issue
- Practical skills development: topics have included leading change, influencing, emotional intelligence, team dynamics and coaching / mentoring skills for managers.
- A blend of expert input, discussion, provocation and learning from peers
- Leader-led learning: this isn’t just about wheeling in the experienced players, it means truly equipping those senior figures to actually develop the people they’re there to help
- Work on the relationships between different ‘levels’ in the organisation: so it’s harder for one set of leaders to blame their behaviours on the people above or below them
- Investment in sustaining the change: by exploring and addressing the unconscious blockers that will make it hard for each individual to truly ‘step up’ in their leadership
Where does ‘ARC Leadership’ fit in? [+]
When ARC Leadership does form part of a Leadership Development Intervention, some clients like us to put it front and centre. Some like to include ARC alongside other ideas, including their own competency frameworks, values and so on. Some like us to map ARC and the Three Core Disciplines to their own frameworks. Others prefer to keep ARC beneath the surface – typically because they’re keen that the ethos of authenticity, responsibility and courage prevails but want to avoid diluting any of their existing organisational messages around leadership.
We’re happy with all of those approaches. After all, what we really care about is enhancing the quality of leadership in your organisation. We’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen.
The impact we’ve had [+]
For more specific insights into the impact we’ve had on organisations and their leaders, we invite you to take a look at our case studies.
To discuss what Leadership Development Interventions
could achieve for your organisation, please call Richard Boston on +44 7949 324001. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org.